Friday, April 9, 2010

To return or not to return... that indeed is the question!

So, I have until April 15th to decide about my job at Milton. I am on a leave of absence. There are many reasons why I would like to go back, but there are also many reasons why I would like to stay here. I don´t know what to do, and it is almost to the point of no return.

My school has really been getting on my nerves lately. I feel like it is making me be a worse teacher - and more like a babysitter than a professional. I recently got reprimanded for giving the students an at-home reading assignment of one chapter. The students won´t read at home, so we must read the whole novel out loud with them in class. Awesome. Now that´s high quality education.

Today I got reprimanded because I had the students type their bi-weekly news journals. Evidently students are not allowed to type anything here. WTF?!?!?

Gradebook and attendance are not online. We don´t even have to take attendance after homeroom. Again, how exactly does that work?

On top of that, we must order photocopies a week ahead of time, and sometimes they still aren´t ready, we can´t use the copier ourselves. We have to order printer paper bc there is never any supplied. We can´t keep the kids in during recess or lunch, and we cannot kick the kids out of the classroom. We also can´t email or call parents. But, don´t worry, we can indeed write in their journals. OR use our 1 free lesson a day to have a physically meeting with the parents. I have 6 DIFFERENT classes, plus CAS and homeroom, and I can´t afford to give up my free period on a regular basis. On top of thatttttttttt... there are no subs here, so when someone is sick, we teachers have to fill in. That would be fine, if there would be lesson plans... but there rarely is. Oh, and BTW, I also got reprimanded for giving them an in-class reading assignment the 2 days I was sick.

So yeah, that´s sounding good for staying in Peru, right?

Well, besides the job, I love Peru and my friends here.

Milton? Well, I loved my job... but I hated the weather and the location and I was miserable there outside of work. If only I could have my Milton job here... then this problem would be solved.

Decisions Decisions Decisions.

3 comments:

  1. Katie dear, you ARE teaching in a more developing part of the world (compared to the US) so I wouldn't expect the working conditions to be as great as your job in Milton. It's expected that they'd have different ways of doing things. You were just spoiled by great U.S. schools :) As much as I want you to come home and be closer, I honestly can't see you returning to life in Milton. Your life isn't there anymore. If you come back, I could see you settling someplace new, a fresh start (if you could find a new job that is). I'm sure your teaching experience in Peru will open many new doors for you if you do come back! So many decisions! Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie,
    I agree with Natasha. As hard as it is to realize, maybe its time for a change-Could you change districts if you return to the States? Would it be possible to change schools in Peru? This is a tough age to be-we are in transition. Buena suerte, chica!

    ReplyDelete
  3. welllll... the thing is that we are in the middle of a school year here, sooooo! I´ll probably just keep my job here for the next year and a half and then decide to stay or go home. I´m just having a weak moment (well... a weak week, jaja)

    ReplyDelete