Monday, April 13, 2009

After two months in Peru...

I have now been in Peru for over two months. I arrived here Feb. 8... and finally started working April 1 (no joke ;) ) ... here are my top 15 things that I have noticed that I am still trying to adjust to:

1. The traffic here is ATROCIOUS (sp...I know..) No matter what time we leave for work in the morning, we spend at least 50 minutes in traffic... and in the afternoons, too. Sometimes it takes an hour and 20 minutes. It is really special. And it´s not like traffic in the US. It´s complete chaos. And the smell of all the different gas fumes and garbage along with the constant horn honking is enough to make me want to jump out of the car and run back to the States, lol. Nah. However sometimes I do feel like I get motion sickness and I´m going to vomit...special hey? ;)

2. The men here are also pretty special. In some aspects, they are awesome. Very gentleman-y. They open the door for you, (the car doors too!) they always want to pay for you, they let you pass first... a lot of times in lines too! Sometimes they will order for you...etc etc. HOWEVER...let me tell you, the constant whistling, cat-calling, kissing noises... stares... etc... get old realllllllllllllllll quick. At first it´s kind of flattering... but after a while, it´s just plain and simple annoying and disrespectful...I no longer enjoy walking anywhere by myself. If it´s not odd noises, it´s stares. Well, at least they think I´m pretty LOL.

3. Garbage pick up is interesting. They have these little wire boxes on top of a little pole (so that the random dogs can´t get into / eat the garbage)... but no one ever has much garbage. I´ve decided it is because they just throw it all in the streets of the poorer districts.

4. There are animals everywhere. Usually there are dogs... but in the Parque Kennedy, there are a ton of cats. There are also a lot of pigeons.

5. You NEVER know what you are going to see here... for example... this past weekend, we were in a park with Andrea and a man comes walking by with a red toilet. Yep. In the park. We called it ¨El Baño Público¨lol...there was also like a little door hanging from a tree. Why? you ask? Good question.

6. Every place delivers here... or just about. Including McDonalds! And they all come on little scooters with a box on the back for your food. And if you order a soda that´s not in a bottle... they have special little bags with 2 compartments that each hold 1 soda. Interesting, hey? Also, ketchup is not popular here. Nor is mustard. What is? Mayo. ewwww...

7. Uniforms are abundent here. All the kiddos wear them to school...and most adults wear them to work. It´s cute.

8. The pedestrians do NOT have the right-of-way. Even when the light is red, pedestrians still need to be careful...bc the drivers here do not always pay attention to the stop lights...and they just about never pay attention to the traffic laws in general. Thus the reason that it is chaotic. Oh, and btw...only people in the front seat are required to wear seatbelts...and often times there are no seatbelts in the back seats. Awesome, hey? And the best part? The people try to come up with excuses why it is good NOT to wear a seatbelt. One person told me, ¨Well if the car flips and you are wearing a seatbelt, you will get stuck and won´t be able to get out.¨ Nevermind the fact that if you are in a car that flips are you aren´t wearing your seatbelt, you´ld probably already be dead...or at least knocked out.

9. EVERYONE...and I mean everyone (well besides me)... smokes here. Even though smoking is prohibited in public places. It does not matter. Estamos en el Peru!

10. This is one of the most UNPUNCTUAL countries I have ever been to...yet punctuality is important at my place of work. What does that mean? I´m late all the time - do to no fault of mine own... and the lady training me gets mad. I need to move to Miraflores. Woo!

11. the people here are nocturnal. It´s pretty sweet til you realize you have to leave for work at 735am and it´s 4 in the morning, lol. Oh sleep. Who needs it?!?!

12. People drink and drive here. They drive drunk. They drive while drinking their beer. They hang out in parks and drink. Then they get in their car and drive. With their open beer. Which they continue to drink while driving. If they get stopped by the police, they can just give them some money and the police let them go. Yep, the police can be bribed here. And you don´t even need to offer them that much money. Ooooh Peru.

13. The police can be bribed here cuz they only make like $200 a month. Well, what do you expect?!?!?! But they make that much more than firefighters. Firefighters in Peru are volunteers. They do not get paid ANYTHING to be a firefighter. Interesting, hey?

14. Combis are the public transportation here. They are also pretty special. They are like little buses... or well, vans. They get as many ppl as they can into the combi. And the combi drivers are VERY aggressive. Rather talented drivers, if you asked me!

And last...but not least..

15. FANNY PACKS ARE POPULAR HERE!!!!! You would not believe the vast quantities of canguros on ppl´s tummies and fannies! sometimes on their hips! I just can´t get over it...

That´s it for now! Happy Monday!

3 comments:

  1. Katie,
    How long are you going to be in Peru? What's your job?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahah I jumped to your first post and so glad i did! I died!!! I love lima I'm not there now however. But I love it! I stayed in San Borja I think its one of my favorite spots. Believe it I walked from Museo de la Nacion until Tottus at Corpac because it was faster than taking a bus. Rediculous! Also I couldn't believe the fanny packs also. So not cool! Funny I was slam wasted one night in miraflores and my taxi driver was drinking. Oops. And well I wanted to grab his can of pilsen. Needless to say I also lost my cell phone in his car. Back to reading more entires. So far I love it! I miss Lima so much more now.

    ReplyDelete