Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Last week at ICPNA and first few days at CPB!

So, this has been an eventful time period!  I finished at ICPNA.  My last day was Friday, May 15th.  Then, I started at CPB (el colegio peruano británico) on Monday, May 18th!  Look at that turn around!  And I had my first Saturday off!  WOOOOOO!! :)

Alright.  My last couple of days at ICPNA were relatively uneventful and boring...I know, hey?  That´s crazy.  I was always so busy and full of life in that job! ;)  Friday, the two secretaries took me out to lunch, which was really sweet of them.  We had chicken causa - which is like this cold yellow mashed potato sandwich with chicken in the middle.  It was pretty good... and we had Arroz con pollo (chicken and rice)...which was also tasty. I have decided I like chicken.  After an extremely uncomfortable afternoon with a  brief photo session (see FB photos), HR finally decided to call me after 5...and so I got to stay til about 615.  Pretty sweet going away present, hey?  staying an extra hour and 15 minutes on my last day doing nothing!  That´s what I´m talking about!! ;)   Afterwards, Mirtha and I met up with Patty O in Pueblo Libre and had some snacks and drinks.  My piña colada was delish.  It was fun and really funny.  I guess there was a temblo (baby earthquake) during that time, but it was really loud in the restaurant and I didn´t hear or feel anything.  

Temblores, btw, are baby earthquakes that you can only hear...you can´t feel them.  They just sound like a semi truck passing you on the freeway.  The first few kinda freaked me out, but now I don´t really notice them.  They don´t happen all that often either sooo...

Anyhow, got to the house at about 11pm. Long day...but I´m free!!

Saturday night I went to Vocé with some friends for a birthday gathering.  It was kinda fun.  There was a musical group there that gave a little concert.  It made me laugh.  I got home at about 230am...after finally finding a "reasonably" priced taxi (they should´ve charged me 10 or 12 soles...they wanted to charge me 25!! I finally ended up paying about 17 soles (about $6))

JONAS BROTHERS ARE IN LIMA!!! 

Sunday I was up at about 9am... I did my wash and cleaned my room in the morning.  In the afternoon, I went shopping and bought a new suit (skirt, blouse, jacket), a pair of navy pants, and a pair of black flats.  Clothes aren´t really cheap here...they are about the same price as in the states, fyi.  That is unless you are a stick and can buy clothes in Gamarra (which is kinda ghetto...)  Clothes fit really strangely here.  I´ve never really had a problem finding pants / skirts that fit, but rather button up shirts and jackets. Here, it was the OPPOSITE problem.  Angelo later told me it was because most women don´t have hips here.  which, I might add... IS TOTALLY TRUE!!!  They all have chicken legs and then huge pooches (as we called them in HS)...or tummies.  Beer Bellies, one might say lol.  SERIOUSLY.

Anyhow, after shopping, Angelo and I went to church.  I like his church.  The priest guy is funny.  He told some young couple to stop making out!! LOL  I tried to go to bed early so that I would be bright eyed and bushy tailed for my first day at CPB!!

So, Monday (yesterday) was my first day.  It went well.  Didn´t do a whole lot.  I think I´m gonna like the job...though it is going to be a lot more work than ICPNA... (WHAT?!?!?! how is that possible?!?!?!) ;)  

My schedule is really nice.  I have an English B 1, English B 2, Theory of Knowledge (TOK) 1 and 2, and 2 sections of remedial English.  English B meets 3 times a week, TOK meets twice, and remedial English meets once.  (12 class periods in total) I also have 2 tutorias each week - which is like homeroom, and some lunch duty twice a week.  On Monday afternoons, I take my kiddos to do community service (CAS) - wooooo!! for a total of 17 responsibilities.  Normally in the States I taught 6 hours a day... so that would be 30 responsibilities!  Most of my mornings are completely free.  And might I add...class sizes are like a dream here!  I only will have 1 class of 30.  My two English B classes are 11 and 9 (my bday!), my remedial classes have like 6 ... one TOK has 15 and the other 30, and CAS has 15.

Once again, I am the youngest person in my workplace...at least at the secondary level...I´ve been informed by the guy I´m replacing - who is a year older than me.  He is going back to the good ol´US of A to get his masters in education from Harvard.  He literally lives about 3 blocks from my house here...which is CRAZY!  we go home together on the bus...he is teaching me!  we are going to get dinner together next week with his wife, yay!  it´s too bad they are leaving...they would´ve been good potential new friends.  Ohhhh well.

I taught my first class this morning...remedial English.  They are really cute... TINY class of 6.  They were like 12 or 13 years old, maybe?  We worked with animals.  I need to figure out how much they know so that I can teach them better.  

I think this afternoon after work, I am going to the bank.  Woo! 

1 comment:

  1. Katie!
    It's your auntie!!
    I just made a blog too! Fun stuff =)
    We have been having a few of those temblores out here lately too, but we have been feeling them not just hearing them! yikes

    ReplyDelete