Saturday, June 26, 2010

In the new depa!

So Wednesday was OFFICIAL MOVING DAY! The keys of the old place were turned in, and all the stuff was officially out! Let me tell you a bit about the moving experience!

One. I am lucky I have an amazing guy to help me with everything. He arranged the moving truck, took care of the tiling people for the most part, and helped immensely with the moving process. IDK what I would've done without him!

Two. At first I thought that moving was going to be way easier. I've only been here for a year. I couldn't possibly have that much stuff, right? WRONG! Goodness, I have a TON of stuff. Clothes, shoes, books, kitchen stuff, bathroom stuff, rugs, lamps, movies, pictures, mirrors, etc... and all my furniture. It was a lot more than the 2 suitcases I came here with!

Three. For 250 soles... about $75... I got 4 moving men and a NICE moving truck. They came, took all the big stuff, took the bed frame apart... drove the stuff, and me, in rush hour traffic, and brought all the stuff up to the 6th floor and put it where I told them to. And they did all of this... THE SAME DAY PAOLO CALLED! Pretty sweet.

Four. You are supposed to have a permit from the police to move here. How did I find this out? A friend told me she had been stopped in the past while moving. Then I mentioned this to another teacher, and she indeed confirmed that this permit was necessary, and her dad used to be a police officer. But, she told me if I didn't have one, not to worry. I could either smile and put on a real heavy American accent, or just give the police officer 50 soles and he would leave me alone. She also told me that the permit was only necessary if I was moving after 6pm. It is supposedly to ensure that people aren't stealing a houseful of stuff. Supposedly, as well, if you don't have this permit and they stop you, they take all your stuff! Oh goodness.

Well, I took my chances. Nothing happened.

Five. First day here, we had no hot water. Brr. Then we did have hot water, and it works just fine. Good news.

Six. We are having the kitchen and the main bathroom remodeled. Paolo was staying home and making sure everything was fine. Well, the last day, he couldn't, and neither could I, so he had a friend here. Well, when I had gotten home, they were packing up and told me they were done... yet there was an ungrouted tile in the kitchen, and they had made a hole for the bidet even though we told them not to! So anyways, now instead of going to Manolo's for churros on Saturday morning... we're sitting in the apt. watching the Uruguay / South Korea game waiting for a supervisor to show up so this all gets taken care of and finished. Grr.

Seven. Not going to Arequipa this weekend because of all of the following. Everything has to be taken care of ahorita because next Friday we are going to Tarapoto si or si! I can't miss work, and neither can Paolito, sooooooo.

Eight. The new place is big and in a great location. However, it is not quiet on Friday nights. I'm sure Saturday nights aren't going to be much better... ufff. And no, it's not the people or the little bar nearby... it's the flipping taxis honking their honks at 3am to get the drunk people in! What the butt!

No comments:

Post a Comment