Friday, May 21, 2010

Sporty Katie time!

Sooo... Paolo and I joined a gym... exactly 1 month ago today! It is an interesting gym.. small..very little airflow (no fans...odd)... and strange people. but, a gym's a gym. It is like a block and a half away from my apt... so it works.

A couple of things... one, the classes.

I love the Cardio Combat class... it's like Tae Bo, I guess. It's fun and the teacher is really good at instructing. Plus, surprisingly enough, it makes my arms REALLY sore even though we don't use any weights! Usually the class is all boys and then me and one little Peruvian lady.

Then there is the step class. I like it okay, the instructor is fun... but it's not cool step like back home where you do neat little routines usually... it's just a bunch of repetition over and over.

Then there is the dance class... it's not really a class at all. There is this funny lady who is the instructor. After every song, she says "que rico!" and then putzes around looking for another song. She doesn't teach the moves, she just does them and everyone tries to follow along. It's actually hilarious, but I look the most ridiculous. Well... at least I can laugh at myself, hey?

And then there is the Cardio Blast class... this class...well, I sweat a lot, but I get mad. One, you have to do exactly as the teacher says, or she yells at you. Don't even think about doing something that is higher impact. I got in an argument about that with her, lol. Two, she wants you to put on this cream that makes you sweat more. No, thank you. 3. She turns off the fans in the class studio (there are fans in there) and shuts the windows. It is insanely hot. 4. The faster you move, the better. Evidently, form does not matter. Sooooo... I don't go to that class anymore. Plus, she doesn't do the exercises with you... she just walks around and yells.

Anyhow, so sometimes I also go on the treadmill... there are only 3... and they are all separated... I don't like that but oh well... I'm not about to move them jaja. The treadmills only let you put in a max. of 25 minutes at a time. grrr... that's annoying... and they are in kilometers, which means things a bit tough for me to figure out, jaja.

So, I am really proud of myself... yesterday, even though I was exhausted, I went to the gym. I ran 5.4 (about 3.5 miles) kilometers in 36 minutes. Yay me! I was pretty proud :) Fun news is that Lima has 5k and 10k "races" (I guess??) where everyone who completes the run gets a shirt and a medal! Paolo and I are going to start doing them I think.

That's all. 3 hours and 15 minutes til the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment